The Benefits of Senior Living in Virginia Beach
Ask residents of Atlantic Shores in Virginia Beach, Virginia what prompted them to move to a senior living community and you’ll likely receive a variety of answers. Some seniors consider this transition a gift they give their family. Knowing an aging parent is in a safe, supportive environment surrounded by friendly neighbors gives adult children peace of mind. Aging parents know how valuable that reassurance is to their loved ones.
Other residents will probably say making the move freed them from the burdens of homeownership, like lawn care and other upkeep and chores. They can now enjoy life on their own terms, unencumbered by a house and all that goes along with maintaining it. After a lifetime spent working and raising a family, that sense of freedom is well-deserved.
Whatever the reason, it’s clear that moving to a continuing care retirement community (CCRC) has benefits for both the older adult and those who love them. And as time passes and the senior’s needs change, families continue to find even more reasons to feel good about this decision.
Benefits of Senior Living Communities in Virginia Beach
If the individual is active and independent when they make their move to a community like Atlantic Shores, the lifestyle and amenities are likely what attracted them. For those who need a little assistance with the activities of daily life, that’s available, too.
A few of the many benefits of moving to a senior living community include:
- Programs and activities: Continuing care retirement communities offer a wide range of daily programs and activities, from whale watching and pickleball to art classes and day trips. Residents have opportunities to make new friends and participate in as many events as they choose. In an area like Virginia Beach, outings to local destinations are also popular.
- Wellness clinic: As we age, most of us place a higher priority on health and fitness than we may have in our younger days. We know it’s essential for living our best quality of life. CCRCs are known for making it easier for residents to adopt a healthy lifestyle. At Atlantic Shores, we make resident health an even higher priority by offering an on-site wellness clinic. Services include routine physicals, lab work, vaccines, wound care, pacemaker checks, and more.
- Dining options: A quality senior living community recognizes how important it is for older adults to feel they are in control of their day. That includes deciding what they will eat at every meal, and when. A CCRC commonly provides meals in a variety of settings with diverse menu options. If a senior is headed out for some shopping, for example, The Bistro is a great place to grab a quick bite on the way out the door. It’s just one of several dining options at Atlantic Shores.
- Future security: Because CCRC communities offer multiple types of care on one campus, residents can feel confident that if their needs for care and assistance change, the community will be able to accommodate them. That’s a benefit to both generations of the family.
Some communities also offer deluxe services and amenities to make everyday life easier for residents. At Atlantic Shores, we have a concierge available to set up transportation, make dinner reservations, register residents for activities, handle postal services, and more. It’s a level of service that provides added convenience for residents and their families.
A CCRC Helps Families Build Memories
When considering the benefits of senior living communities Virginia Beach, it’s important not to overlook the value of allowing families to be families, and not caregivers. When adult children and grandchildren aren’t responsible for personal care and other tasks their senior loved one needs help with, the entire family has more quality time together. That time allows them to enjoy meaningful days with their loved one and build memories they will all cherish.
Professional caregivers at a CCRC can manage all the care needs and daily tasks family members might think only they can do, such as:
- Assisting with bathing, grooming and dressing
- Providing health assessments and wellness checks
- Monitoring medication dosages and schedules
- Helping with transfers, such as to and from the bathroom
- Coordinating transportation services
- Handling housekeeping and laundry needs
Hear What Residents at Atlantic Shores Have to Say
Think Atlantic Shores sounds too good to be true? Don’t just take our word for it! Watch these quick testimonial videos to hear what residents have to say about our Virginia Beach community and the continuum of care that encompasses independent living, assisted living, memory care, skilled nursing and senior rehabilitation.