What Is a Continuing Care Retirement Community?
Older adults have many attractive options for retirement living, and one of those choices is a continuing care retirement community. It pays to learn about the costs and benefits of this type of community so you can choose what’s right for you. And if you want to see the difference for yourself, Atlantic Shores is a shining example of a premier continuing care retirement community in Virginia Beach, VA.
A continuing care retirement community (also known as a CCRC) is a type of retirement community with a unique set of benefits designed to support the needs of residents now and in the future. The concept of continuing care is what sets CCRCs apart from other types of senior living. Seniors often choose to move to a CCRC while they’re active and healthy, knowing they’ll have a continuum of care in one location if their health changes in the future.
4 Key Characteristics
1. Levels of living: To be considered a CCRC, a community must include independent living and one additional level of living on the same campus. Atlantic Shores offers four additional levels of living — assisted living, skilled nursing, a memory care neighborhood, and senior rehabilitation services — all on one campus.
2. Residential options: Continuing care retirement communities typically offer a variety of residential living floor plans designed to help you thrive and maintain independence as you age. At Atlantic Shores, you’ll find an impressive selection of floor plans, including spacious apartment homes and attached or detached one-story villas.
3. Amenities and features: CCRCs generally offer a core set of services and amenities for residents. This can vary, but may include dining venues, gyms,wellness programs, outdoor recreation, community events and social activities. Atlantic Shores offers a multitude of amenities on campus, including a state-of-the-art fitness center, wellness clinic, community gardens, arts and crafts studio, and so much more.
4. Contract options and costs: The price you pay depends on the type of contract, the residence and floor plan you select, and the level of care you need. Whether you choose a rental model or an equity option also affects your upfront costs and ongoing monthly fees. Atlantic Shores offers several financial plans with options for renting or buying your residence.
Benefits of a Continuing Care Retirement Community
CCRCs can help you make the most of your retirement by taking advantage of the following benefits:
- Never move again. You don’t have to worry about relocating if you need a higher level of care sometime down the road. At Atlantic Shores, you can stay in the same beautiful location with wonderful neighbors and access to the same fulfilling and engaging activities and amenities.
- Stay close to your loved one. A CCRC offers flexibility for spouses or partners needing different levels of medical or personal care. If a spouse or partner ever needs higher levels of care, you’ll have convenient access to services on-site. This also means you can stay near each other, even if one person remains in independent living while the other moves to assisted living or a higher level of care.
- Worry less with a maintenance-free lifestyle. With groundskeepers, housekeepers and maintenance staff ready to help, you can trust that all maintenance needs will be handled, both inside and out.
- Broaden your social circle. When you move to a CCRC, you’ll have an expanded social network, with opportunities to meet new friends while enjoying a wide range of amenities and activities.
- Enjoy true peace of mind. Live your life with confidence, knowing you won’t have to move elsewhere because of a health change. This peace of mind extends to your family as well, because they won’t have to worry about finding new accommodations for you in case of a health emergency.
Discover the Benefits of Atlantic Shores
As a continuing care retirement community in Virginia Beach, VA, Atlantic Shores offers high-quality senior living options, including assisted living, memory care, as well as skilled nursing and rehabilitation, all in one place. We provide an all-inclusive plan that gives you access to long-term care if and when you need it, protecting you and your family from the rising costs of senior care. We invite you to schedule a visit to speak with one of our sales counselors, who can walk through the options and answer any questions you have.