Now! Is it a good time to move to a Retirement Community ?
Why Move to a Retirement Community While the Market is Hot
With retirement comes the opportunity to gain some much-deserved freedom. Your time is your own, and a world of choices opens up. One of the decisions retirees typically explore is whether or not to sell their family home and move to a senior living community. With that consideration comes another exciting question – what area of the country appeals to you?
Top Retirement Destination: Virginia Beach
Each year, Forbes publishes a “Best Places to Retire” list. In the most recent edition and many past ones, Virginia Beach, Virginia, is among the top 25 cities for retirees to live. In addition to more than 38 miles of beautiful beaches and a comfortable climate, older adults can enjoy the benefit of no income tax on Social Security and no state estate tax.
Of course, if you’re already a resident, you know how terrific it is to live in Virginia Beach. If your home sells quickly, as it probably will, why not move to one of the best retirement communities in the area? Virginia Beach is home to the beautiful senior living community of Atlantic Shores. Set on 100 picturesque acres along the shores of scenic Lake Redwing, Atlantic Shores attracts young, active retirees from all over the Southeast. They come for the relaxed coastal lifestyle, the maintenance-free living and to enjoy the community’s welcoming neighborhood setting.
Atlantic Shores residents value the freedom to live independently, and the community obliges with options everyone appreciates, such as:
- Flexible dining (take your meals in the dining room, get them to go or have them served tableside in your residence.) There’s even a screened gazebo overlooking the lake to plan a catered picnic where we do the cooking!
- Numerous activities, from painting classes, lectures and book clubs to cycling, aerobics, tennis and kayaking.
- Amenities include billiards and card rooms, a library, a salon and barbershop, community gardens to try out your green thumb and so much more.
5 Benefits of Moving Now to a Retirement Community
- The Housing Market is HotYou’ve been reading all about it. Houses are selling fast and often above market value. That’s great news for sellers – especially if you’re selling a home in the Virginia Beach area. According to Virginia Beach Economic Development, the demand for housing is high as more people choose the location for nearby job opportunities, as well as the wonderful coastal lifestyle.Even more exciting – according to Wallethub, Virginia Beach ranked No. 1 last year for having homes on the market for the lowest median number of days. In fact, Roofstock notes that, on average, homes in Virginia Beach sell after 19 days on the market compared to 24 days last year. The area actually ranks No. 11 among all Virginia metros, where homes sold the fastest compared to one year ago. What’s more, in February 2022, Virginia Beach home prices were up 9.4% compared to last year, selling for a median price of $325K.
- You’d Love a Worry-Free FutureWith advanced age comes the likelihood of needing additional care and assistance. You can get these things living in your own home, of course, but the costs can compromise your retirement savings. Part-time in-home care which can cost an average of $16 per hour to $27 per hour, depending on location, according to Genworth. For an eight-hour day of home care, that will typically total over $4,100 a month.In a senior living community like Atlantic Shores, which is a CCRC (Continuing Care Retirement Community), you can enjoy a great lifestyle plus peace-of-mind. You’ll have your choice of beautifully appointed one-, two- and three-bedroom apartment homes and one-story villas. Then if you ever have the need for increased health care, it will be there for you right on campus. Atlantic Shores offers assisted living (at on-site Harbourway), memory care (at on-site Marina Bay), skilled nursing (at on-site Seaside Health Center), and rehabilitation (at on-site Seaside Health Center).
- You’re Ready to Toss the To-Do ListYou’ve done the DIY thing, and the cost of hiring maintenance people, maids, etc., feels like throwing money out the window. You’ve earned the right to live carefree, and that begins when you move into an independent living apartment in a retirement community like Atlantic Shores.In addition to having a maintenance-free residence which includes exterior and interior upkeep, repairs, and even chores like hanging curtains, you’ll enjoy housekeeping every other week and flat linen laundering, too. And you won’t need to pay for a security system, because round-the-clock security is included in your monthly fee. That means you can always feel safe and secure at home and know that your home is safe even when you’re off on an extended vacation. That’s a true lock-and-leave lifestyle.
- Resort-Style Amenities Sound WonderfulWhen you think of the services and amenities at a senior living community, picture the best of what you’d find at a resort, in a fitness club, at your local community center, in a beautiful city park, and at a fine country club, all right outside your door.And that’s not all. At Atlantic Shores, you’ll have a concierge available daily to make dinner reservations, reserve your spot on the complimentary shuttle or call you a cab, help you register for activities and excursions, handle your postal services, and more. Try getting that kind of service in your current home!
- More Budget Control is AppealingThink about it. Between taxes, upkeep and repair costs, HOA fees, groceries, entertainment, transportation costs, and more, remaining in your own home is no bargain – even if you’ve paid off your mortgage.
And consider this. If you ever need to modify your home as you age, Bankrate estimates you could spend as much as $50,000 to remodel your entire home or make significant structural changes to it for added safety, wheelchair access, etc.
But as you probably guessed by now, in a retirement community, the costs you associate with daily living (meals, housekeeping, transportation, laundry, security and emergency monitoring) are all included in your one monthly fee, which makes budgeting a breeze. And, of course, your apartment and all common spaces are designed for senior safety, comfort and convenience.
Your Best Retirement Life is Waiting at Atlantic Shores
The smart decision to downsize and move to a retirement community like Atlantic Shores could be the best move you ever make. Our active adult community is full of life and ways to enjoy it, from kayaking to cycling, socializing, clubs and so much more.
To see what your life could be like, be our guest on May 14, 2022, for Atlantic Shores’ Annual Spring Garden Event. From 11 a.m. – 1 p.m., browse our beautiful grounds, shop for crafts and homemade goods, and enjoy delicious food and drinks, serenaded by live music. You’ll also have a chance to meet and talk with residents to see what you’re missing!
If you’d like to reach out to us directly, complete our contact form or call (757) 275-8705. We look forward to meeting you.