Our Resident “Foodies” Inspire Sweet New Dish
Our residents have great taste, and their input helps inspire some of our delicious dishes! After talking to some residents during dinner, Chef Kyle was asked to create a flavorful dish that featured shrimp — one of their favorite proteins. The result was Atlantic Shores Mango Curry Shrimp.
Curries are always packed with flavor, and Kyle toned down the spice/heat by adding fresh mango. When this sweet and savory dish debuted, it almost sold out of it on the first night. Try it for yourself, paired with a nice cold chardonnay.
2 quarts yields
4oz Vegetable Oil
2.5 oz Shallot, small dice
1 oz Ginger, ground
1.5 oz Garlic, minced
1.5 lb Tomato, medium dice
.5 oz Curry Powder
2 t Coriander Powder
28 oz Chicken Stock
1-13.5oz can Coconut Milk
14 oz White Wine
2 lb Mango, Fresh, medium dice
1 oz Basil, fresh, chiffonade
24 ea 26-30 peeled and deveined shrimp tail off
3 oz oil
To Taste Kosher Salt
To Taste Ground Black Pepper
6 servings Basmati rice (or any kind of rice you enjoy)
- In a large saucepot over medium heat sauté the shallot, ginger, and garlic. Stir the mixture and cook until golden brown; about two minutes.
- Add the diced tomatoes, curry powder, coriander powder, chicken stock, coconut milk, and wine to the mixture. Cook for about 4 minutes stirring occasionally.
- Simmer on medium-high heat for about 30-40 minutes, letting the liquid reduce by half. When the mixtures are reduced and is the thick consistency that is when the diced mango is added with the basil.
- Stir to incorporate the mango and let simmer for another 10 minutes. Taste the reduction and adjust seasoning if needed.
- Pour sauce into containers and let cool, store until needed for service.
- To prepare the shrimp, in a hot skillet add the oil and place the seasoned shrimp into the hot oil. Let cook for about 1-2 minutes on each side.
- Place rice in bowl and top with 4-6 oz mango curry sauce over your favorite rice, top with cooked shrimp and garnish with fresh green onion or chopped chive.