Season’s Fresh Herbs Star in Atlantic Shores Minestrone Soup.
Fresh herbs are in season and are the star of Chef Kyle’s Minestrone Soup, recently prepared for our residents during a Chef’s Premier dinner. Mix in fresh dark leafy greens like spinach, kale, arugula or even thinly slice cabbage. Customize the recipe even more by changing the pasta to your favorite kind.
- 8 oz elbow pasta, cooked
- 1 lb sausage, mild, sliced
- 6 ea cooked bacon, diced
- 8 oz white onion, medium dice
- 4 oz celery, medium diced
- 8 oz carrots, peeled, medium diced
- 2 teaspoons garlic, fresh, minced
- 1 teaspoon thyme, fresh, removed for stem
- 1 teaspoon sage, fresh, chiffonade
- 1 teaspoon rosemary, fresh, minced
- 1/2 teaspoon salt, kosher
- 8oz diced tomatoes
- 16 oz tomato sauce
- 32 oz beef broth
- 2 cups of water
- 3 bay leaves
- 3 medium Yukon potatoes, peeled, medium diced
- 8oz zucchini, medium diced
- 10 oz kidney beans, drained and rinsed
- 8oz garbanzo beans
- 10 oz great northern beans
- Cook pasta according to box directions, drain and rinse, set aside.
- In a large stockpot over medium heat add the Italian sausage. Cook until browned, and drain any excess fat.
- Add the onion, carrots, and celery and continue to cook until the onions are translucent.
- Add garlic, fresh herbs and salt and continue to cook for another minute.
- Add beef broth, diced tomatoes, tomato sauce, water, bay leaves, and bring to a simmer over medium-high heat.
- Add the diced potatoes and continue to cook for 5-7 minutes. Cook until the potatoes just barely start to soften.
- Add the diced zucchini and continue to cook for another 5 minutes.
- Add in the beans and simmer until potatoes and zucchini are cooked through but still firm.
- Stir in the cooked pasta. Remove from heat.
- Serve warm with grated Parmesan cheese and your favorite bread.