Why Retiring in Virginia Beach is So Desirable
Are you looking for a peaceful yet exciting retirement destination? Look no further than Virginia Beach. Nestled along the Atlantic coast, Virginia Beach is a vibrant city with endless opportunities for entertainment, recreation, and relaxation.
Here are some of the top reasons why Virginia Beach is the perfect place to retire.
Retiring in a Coastal City
For most of your life, where you lived was driven by your career. But, as someone starting to plan for retirement or already living as a retiree, you can live wherever you want without a career being the driving force behind your choice. It’s an exciting time, with seemingly endless possibilities to choose from, but how can you narrow it down?
Start by deciding what is most important to you. A temperate climate? Affordability? Distance from family? Or living somewhere that offers activities geared toward a retirement lifestyle?
If you’re prioritizing any or all of these, Coastal cities are ideal locations for retirees because they offer many benefits that other areas typically do not. A moderate climate, access to outdoor recreation, and a relaxed lifestyle are just a few of the many benefits that come with retiring in a coastal city. They also offer a strong sense of community and provide endless opportunities for socializing, volunteering, and cultural experiences. Additionally, living near the ocean can have a positive impact on both mental and physical well-being.
Retiring to a coastal city is a fantastic way to make the most out of your golden years, and it goes beyond offering beautiful views:
Relaxing pace of living.
Living in a coastal city allows you to live close to nature and guarantees you’ll never tire of exploring the area and taking in the fresh sea air. Because coastal cities are common for retirees, they also offer a more leisurely pace of living compared to the hustle and bustle of a major city. In coastal cities, you can take ample time to savor each moment your golden years bring.
Temperate climate with endless vitamin D.
Harsh winters can be challenging as a retiree. The drastically cold temperatures, shoveling snow, and being stuck inside for months can bring depression and potential injuries. On the other hand, most coastal areas offer a very temperate climate, partly due to ocean currents, which release heat at slower rates compared to landlocked areas. Milder climates make getting outdoors more accessible and enticing. By spending more time outdoors, you’ll receive the necessary vitamin D your body needs, which helps to boost mental and immune health.
Improved physical and mental health.
People who retire in a coastal area often exercise more regularly because the area they live in is more picturesque and enjoyable to explore. Frequent exercise, combined with vitamin D, improves overall health, both physical and mental. The salty sea breeze can also help improve your breathing, and the sound of the waves can have a calming effect on your mind. Furthermore, research has found that the blue hues of the ocean actually increase feelings of happiness and serenity.
What Makes Retiring in Virginia Beach So Special
Virginia Beach is a city rich in history and culture and has a diverse population, which adds to its charm. From museums, to shopping centers, outdoor recreation and more, it has something for everyone!
It’s known for its pristine beaches, lively boardwalk, and abundance of outdoor activities, it truly is a welcoming and comfortable place to retire! The city is also home to several attractions and activities, such as the Virginia Aquarium & Marine Science Center, the Military Aviation Museum, and the Virginia Museum of Contemporary Art. Additionally, Virginia Beach is home to various festivals and events throughout the year, such as the Neptune Festival and the Sandbridge Pig Pickin’.
Virginia Beach is Home to a Vibrant Senior Community with Plenty to Do & See
Virginia Beach has a thriving retiree community, which means there are plenty of activities and events catered to retirees and seniors alike. For instance, you can join a senior center, which offers a range of classes, social events, and fitness programs. You can also attend retiree-friendly events, such as the Senior Olympics and the Virginia Beach Senior Games. And if you’re a golfer, you’ll be pleased to know that Virginia Beach has several world-class golf courses to choose from!
Whether you’re looking for excitement and a full calendar of activities or a relaxing, laid-back atmosphere for your golden years, Virginia Beach is the place for you.
The Top Reasons Why Retirees are Drawn to Virginia Beach
Retirement is the time to enjoy the fruits of your labor and a life well-lived, explore new opportunities, and live in a place that caters to your needs. While Virginia Beach offers endless benefits for retirees, here are our top five reasons why we think it is the best place for you to retire:
- Low Cost of Living: Retirement often means a fixed income, and it’s essential to find a place to live that fits within your budget. Virginia Beach is an affordable place to live compared to other coastal cities. The cost of housing is reasonable, and the property tax rate is one of the lowest in the region.
- Quality Healthcare: As we age, healthcare becomes increasingly important. Virginia Beach has several top-rated hospitals and medical centers, making it an ideal place for retirees who need access to quality healthcare.
- Accessible Transportation: Retirees may not want to drive as much as they used to, but they still need to get around. Virginia Beach has an efficient public transportation system that includes buses, trolleys, and light rail. It also has an international airport, making it easy to travel to other destinations.
- Friendly Community: Retirement can be lonely for some people, but that’s not the case in Virginia Beach! The people here are known for their friendliness and hospitality. It’s easy to make new friends and feel welcomed in this vibrant city.
- Natural Beauty: Virginia Beach is home to some of the most beautiful beaches on the East Coast. The city has 35 miles of coastline, with wide, sandy beaches and crystal-clear water. The city also has several parks and nature reserves, making it an ideal destination for nature lovers.
Virginia Beach is an ideal retirement destination for those seeking a vibrant and economical coastal city with plenty of activities, events, and natural beauty. Its flourishing senior community, excellent healthcare options, and accessible transportation make it a practical choice, while its rich history, culture, and attractions make it an exciting one. If you’re considering retiring, Virginia Beach should be on your list of destinations!