Our residents have great taste, and their input helps inspire some of our delicious dishes! After talking to some residents during dinner, Chef Kyle was asked to create a flavorful dish that featured shrimp — one of their favorite proteins. The result was Atlantic Shores Mango Curry Shrimp.
Curries are always packed with flavor, and Kyle toned down the spice/heat by adding fresh mango. When this sweet and savory dish debuted, it almost sold out of it on the first night. Try it for yourself, paired with a nice cold chardonnay.
2 quarts yields
4oz Vegetable Oil
2.5 oz Shallot, small dice
1 oz Ginger, ground
1.5 oz Garlic, minced
1.5 lb Tomato, medium dice
.5 oz Curry Powder
2 t Coriander Powder
28 oz Chicken Stock
1-13.5oz can Coconut Milk
14 oz White Wine
2 lb Mango, Fresh, medium dice
1 oz Basil, fresh, chiffonade
24 ea 26-30 peeled and deveined shrimp tail off
3 oz oil
To Taste Kosher Salt
To Taste Ground Black Pepper
6 servings Basmati rice (or any kind of rice you enjoy)
- In a large saucepot over medium heat sauté the shallot, ginger, and garlic. Stir the mixture and cook until golden brown; about two minutes.
- Add the diced tomatoes, curry powder, coriander powder, chicken stock, coconut milk, and wine to the mixture. Cook for about 4 minutes stirring occasionally.
- Simmer on medium-high heat for about 30-40 minutes, letting the liquid reduce by half. When the mixtures are reduced and is the thick consistency that is when the diced mango is added with the basil.
- Stir to incorporate the mango and let simmer for another 10 minutes. Taste the reduction and adjust seasoning if needed.
- Pour sauce into containers and let cool, store until needed for service.
- To prepare the shrimp, in a hot skillet add the oil and place the seasoned shrimp into the hot oil. Let cook for about 1-2 minutes on each side.
- Place rice in bowl and top with 4-6 oz mango curry sauce over your favorite rice, top with cooked shrimp and garnish with fresh green onion or chopped chive.